The library committee is being formed to keep a library in Pikeville town limits. Libraries are essential for a community for many different reasons. They provide a center for learning for all ages, most libraries offering classes on technology for older adults, financial and budgeting classes for young adults, and lego-building and story-time for children.
If you are interested in joining this committee, please fill out this form and someone will email you shortly.
In an article written by Julie Biando Edwards, Melissa S. Rauseo, & Kelley Rae Unger, they discuss some important reasons why libraries are vital to a community. There are five service categories that libraries fall into. Linked below will be the article but below will highlight some of the most important services a library can provide.
1. Libraries are important for the sustainability of many municipalities.
2. Archives kept in libraries preserve important town artifacts, oral histories, digital histories, and monographs related to the community.
3. Libraries are a place where people go to get to know themselves and one another.
4. Libraries provide important business resources, including those that are needed for small businesses.
5. Libraries provide sources of reading material for all walks of life.
6. Libraries provide access to the arts for all, not just those that can afford tickets to the theatre/concerts.
7. Libraries teach teens important life skills and are also important in children's development.
Want a more detailed view of how libraries affect the people around them? Click here.